Personal Statement Questionnaire
1) The school and specific program you are applying to;
Answer: University of Massachusetts Global -Doctor of Nursing Practice (DNP) program
2) Are there any requirements for this essay that your program requests? (word count, specific prompt, etc)
Answer: Prepare a statement reflecting your goals and purpose for pursuing graduate study. For admission purposes, goals will be judged for clarity and congruity with graduate education, congruity with selected nursing role in the DNP and congruity with past and current work experience.
Please limit to no more than 500 words. Include the following in your statement:
• Relationship of your identified area of study, your career goals, and specific outcomes you want to accomplish from graduate study
• Relationship between your career goals and past and current clinical experience including work experience or future plans to work in rural areas and/or with medically underserved populations.
• Ideas for your Doctoral Applied Project in your planned area of clinical expertise.
3) Please, attach your Resume or CV (pls see attachment)
4) The moment from your life or influential person (or both) that inspired you to pursue this field of study and career path;
Answer: Dr. Danilo Bernal, my Family Nurse Practitioner(FNP) professor from Charles Drew University. He was also a DNP graduate from Brandman University which is now called University of Massachusetts Global
5) What you hope to learn or gain (experience, networking, advanced knowledge, specialized knowledge of some kind, etc.) by pursuing this degree, residency or fellowship;
Answer: To be able to learn and improve nursing practice based on evidence based approach and be independent to practice medicine in the field and work as advance nurse. To develop leadership skills in running and managing a clinic. To provide the highest quality of care for patients, families, communities and populations.
6) The specific qualities that made you chose the school and program to which you are applying (if applicable);
Answer: highly recommended by my mentor, Dr. Danilo Bernal, flexibility of schedule and the DNP program designed for working professionals.
7) Your short- and long-term plans for the future as it pertains to this field of study and/or your career;
Short term plan: developing confidence and managing time wisely
Long term plan: create and own a clinic and specialize in stem cell therapy
8) Any hardships or obstacles you had to overcome in the pursuit of your education;
Answer: work related responsibilities that may hinder my school schedule
9) Anything else you want to address in your personal statement (time off, low test scores, low GPA, etc.).
1) The school and the specific program you are applying to
I am applying for a Doctor of Nursing Practice (DNP) program at the University of Massachusetts Global. I am focused on enhancing my skills and expertise by earning a DNP degree from the university.
2) Requirements for this essay that your program requests
The main goal of pursuing a DNP program is to enhance my nursing leadership and administration skills and expertise. DNP program offers theoretical and practical experience in nursing leadership and instructing roles required for nursing leadership. I would like to utilize scientific underpinnings in my nursing practices and demonstrate effective leadership of healthcare organizations and systems. I am determined to achieve expertise in using analytical methods for quality evidence-based practice and the improvement and transformation of the healthcare system.
In my nursing experience, I have been mostly involved in the administrative and leadership role as a charge nurse, nursing supervisor, and nursing administration. The nursing leadership roles require higher leadership and administrative skills. In my current role as a DPCS/ Administrator at Royal Majesty, Home Care involves various responsibilities such as providing leadership through the development of long-term strategic plans, assuring compliance to the regulatory laws in governing and delivery of home healthcare services, and providing general leadership to the healthcare providers. In the future, I would like to lead a national nursing body in enhancing the quality of nursing care in the country and own a clinic.
3) Doctoral Applied Project
For my Doctoral Applied Project, I will study the impact of nurse psychological wellbeing and job satisfaction on patient outcomes in a geriatric care setting. This research project will evaluate the various psychological issues that affect the performance of the nurses in delivering quality care for the elderly population.
I was inspired by Dr. Danilo Bernal, my Family Nurse Practitioner (FNP) professor from Charles Drew University. He was also a DNP graduate from Brandman University, now called the University of Massachusetts Global. The professor encouraged me to earn a Ph.D. in Nursing Leadership for improved leadership skills and enhanced expertise in administration.
5) Expected Outcome
I expect to learn and improve nursing practice based on an evidence-based approach and be independent to practice medicine in the field and work as an advanced nurse. To develop leadership skills in running and managing a clinic. I also expect to provide the highest quality of care for patients, families, communities, and populations.
6) Specific qualities
The specific qualities that made me choose the University of Massachusetts Global are its flexibility and quality of education in preparing the working professionals. Dr. Danilo Bernal highly recommended the school to me for its flexibility.
My short-term is to develop confidence in the quality management of nursing practices. For my long-term plans, I would like to own a clinic and specialize in stem cell therapy.
I am a working professional, and thus the responsibilities may sometimes collide with my school schedule.