Blood Culture Contamination in the Emergency Department
TOPIC: Blood CONTAMINATION and EMERGENCY ROOM
When you compose your assignment you will use a tool that is posted in resources called the Matrix Worksheet Template. In the template you will follow the prompts to analyze your 4 articles (why each was chosen, how it relates to your topic, ethics, the aims of the research, and methodology with strengths either in matrix form or in text.) You will need APA citation and a reference page that gives the address for each article.
Please note that in addition to the 4 research articles (which will be your outside sources) you will also need to cite 2-3 course resources in your paper.
You should add an introduction to precede the matrix as a good spot for citation. Otherwise, they will need to be cited somewhere in the matrix itself.
It is required that all of your articles be RESEARCH articles, or in other words, reports of actual empirical studies (not just general information on the topic or opinions about it). Also, make sure all are studies of the same topic, both dependent and independent variables if possible, but at least one of the variables. The articles should be current (last 5 years) and from scholarly sources.
You must use PEER-REVIEWED, RESEARCH articles NO SYSTEMIC REVIEWS. Please ENSURE to utilize the Matrix worksheet attached to meet criteria of what is being asked. There should be 4 different databases utilized. Denote on reference page all four databases and at least 4 additional outside references for topic
- Review the Resources and identify a clinical issue of interest that can form the basis of a clinical inquiry. Keep in mind that the clinical issue you identify for your research will stay the same for the entire course.
- Based on the clinical issue of interest and using keywords related to the clinical issue of interest, search at least four different databases in the Walden Library to identify at least four relevant peer-reviewed articles related to your clinical issue of interest. You should not be using systematic reviews for this assignment, select original research articles.
- Review the results of your peer-reviewed research and reflect on the process of using an unfiltered database to search for peer-reviewed research.
- Reflect on the types of research methodologies contained in the four relevant peer-reviewed articles you selected.
Part 1: Identifying Research Methodologies
After reading each of the four peer-reviewed articles you selected, use the Matrix Worksheet template to analyze the methodologies applied in each of the four peer-reviewed articles. Your analysis should include the following:
- The full citation of each peer-reviewed article in APA format.
- A brief (1-paragraph) statement explaining why you chose this peer-reviewed article and/or how it relates to your clinical issue of interest, including a brief explanation of the ethics of research related to your clinical issue of interest.
- A brief (1-2 paragraph) description of the aims of the research of each peer-reviewed article.
- A brief (1-2 paragraph) description of the research methodology used. Be sure to identify if the methodology used was qualitative, quantitative, or a mixed-methods approach. Be specific.
- A brief (1- to 2-paragraph) description of the strengths of each of the research methodologies used, including reliability and validity of how the methodology was applied in each of the peer-reviewed articles you selected.