Discussion: The Influence of Mission and Vision on Planning
As you read the following mission statements, think about what you might deduce about each organization:
- “To transform the nation’s health through the power of pursing” (American Nurses Association)
- “The American Red Cross prevents and alleviates human suffering in the face of emergencies by mobilizing the power of volunteers and the generosity of donors.” (American Red Cross)
- “The mission of Southwest Airlines is dedication to the highest quality of Customer Service delivered with a sense of warmth, friendliness, individual pride, and Company Spirit.” (Southwest Airlines)
- “To inspire hope and contribute to health and well-being by providing the best care to every patient through integrated clinical practice, education and research” (Mayo Clinic)
Photo Credit: Getty Images
- “To exploit technical innovations for the benefit of military medicine by developing, demonstrating and integrating across a variety of technology portfolios, including telehealth, medical simulation and training, health IT, medical robotics, command and control, computational biology and mobile solutions” (Telemedicine and Advanced Technology Research Center or TATRC)
- “Google’s mission is to organize the world’s information and make it universally accessible and useful.” (Google)
An organization’s mission describes its core purpose. In partnership with the organization’s vision, which communicates a future-focused direction, the mission provides a basis for planning and decision making at all levels of the organization. For this Discussion, you compare mission and vision statements from multiple organizations and consider how these statements relate to planning.
Review the information related to the planning hierarchy and mission and vision statements in this week’s Learning Resources.
Research the mission and vision statements of three different types of organizations: a for-profit healthcare organization, a not-for-profit healthcare organization, and an organization outside of healthcare. As you examine the organizations’ mission and vision statements, consider the following:
- How effectively do the mission statements articulate the organization’s purpose?
- How effectively do the vision statements reflect future aims?
- Do the mission and vision statements convey who (which groups) the organizations serve? Do they indicate obligations to various stakeholders?
- Are the statements an appropriate length?
- What do you glean about how leaders in healthcare and in other industries envision and convey mission and vision?
- What do you discern about the interdisciplinary nature of crafting mission and vision statements by looking across organizations, including those outside of healthcare?
- Identify key insights you have gained by comparing the mission and vision statements of these three organizations.
- Consider how an organization’s mission and vision relate to the planning hierarchy. For each organization you have selected, think about how the mission and vision could or should influence planning. What elements of each mission and vision stand out as especially significant?
By Day 3
Post a comparison of the mission and vision statements of the three organizations selected. Explain how specific elements of each organization’s mission and vision statements might inform planning in that organization. Include references/links for the organizations’ mission and vision statements in your post.
The Influence of Mission and Vision on Planning
Organizations develop vision and mission statements to help them work out their organizational strategy. The discussion post compares Tenet Healthcare Corporation, Mayo Clinic, and Southwest Airlines’ vision and mission statements: for-profit healthcare organization, a not-for-profit healthcare organization, and an organization outside of healthcare, respectively.
Tenet Healthcare Corporation serves as both a for-profit and not-for-profit organization; its vision is to deliver the best, timely and better environment for its workers, saving lives and patient being their main priority (Tenet Health, 2021). Consecutively, the organization’s mission is to ensure that the community they serve receives compassionate and quality care. From the healthcare vision and mission, it is evident that during planning, they have to ensure that their projects will provide their employees and patient with a better environment to work and recuperate, respectively.
Mayo Clinic is a non-profit healthcare facility whose mission is to inspire hope and contribute to the patients’ well-being and health by ensuring that every patient receives better care through education, research, and clinical practices (Mayo Clinic, 2021). For their vision, Mayo Clinic uses the healthcare facility as a chance to offer an unparalleled experience to its patients for being a trustable healthcare partner. The Mayo Clinic mission and vision are essential since, during planning, the organization management will always aim at creating a people-centered environment to improve their patients’ experience.
Southwest Airlines is an organization whose service is in the airline industry. The organization’s mission is to ensure that its customers connect to what they value by ensuring that its services are reliable, friendly, and low cost (Gupta, 2020). The organization’s vision is to raise its competitive bar by being the most profitable, efficient and loved airline. During planning, the management has to ensure that they put their client first to succeed in their business.
Tenet Health Corporation, Mayo Clinic, and Southwest Airlines’ mission and vision revolve around similar goals and objectives to ensure that they offer people-centric services during planning.
Gupta, S. (February 2, 2020). Southwest Airlines: Vision, Mission, Values, and Philosophy. Business Strategy Hub. https://bstrategyhub.com/southwest-airlines-vision-mission-values-philosophy-2020/
Mayo Clinic (2021). Mission, Vision and Value Statements. Mayo Clinic Healthcare System. https://www.mayoclinichealthsystem.org/locations/eau-claire/about-us/mission-vision-and-value-statements
Tenet Health (2021). A Community Build on Care. https://www.tenethealth.com/about/our-mission-vision-and-values